The purpose of a gym is to help people get healthier and stronger by providing a place with exercise equipment and facilities. People go to the gym to do physical activities and workouts that can improve their fitness levels, build muscles, and increase their overall wellbeing. It’s a space where people also seek advice and support to achieve their fitness goals and lead a healthier lifestyle.
While every gym is different, they do tend to have some things in common:
- Face-to-face interaction – you’ll need to engage with members, answer their questions, and offer guidance, as well as collaborate with your co-workers.
- Safety is key – ensuring members don’t push themselves too hard and that machines are working safely is paramount.
- Cleanliness is important too – you’ll need to provide a clean and sanitary environment for your clients as well.
Assist people with health and fitness goals
The main purpose of a gym is to help people get fit and healthy through exercise and advice.
- Assist clients with exercise and equipment
- Clean and maintain the facilities
- Conduct fitness classes or personal training sessions
- Enforce safety rules
- Manage administrative tasks
- Promote gym services and membership packages
- Monitor and adjust exercise equipment
- Demonstrate proper exercise techniques
You can find gyms in the arts and recreation services industry
Gyms are generally found in the arts and recreation services industry. Some gyms might specialise in offering a particular service, such as weightlifting, group classes, elite performance, or rehabilitation.
You can expect flexible hours and on-site work
Flexible hours | Work on-site | Jobs more common in metro areas | Strong job growth
Gyms typically have flexible operating hours to accommodate different schedules and member preferences. Some gyms may even have extended or 24-hour access for members, allowing them to use the facility at any time.
Most of the work in a gym needs to be done hands-on, so you’ll need to work on-site. But certain roles, such as administration, marketing, programming, or even online fitness coaching, may allow for remote work opportunities.
Gyms are generally more common in metropolitan or urban areas compared to rural areas, as metropolitan areas often have a higher population and a larger market for health and wellness services.
The Career Clusters you’ll find in a gym
People from all Clusters are needed for a gym to run effectively, but the most common Clusters you’ll find are Guardians and Makers. As in any role, you might find yourself performing tasks across multiple Clusters.